- Business Insider Intelligence and eMarketer are now Insider Intelligence, a digitally-focused research company from Insider Inc. Learn more about what we offer.
- This story was delivered to Business Insider Intelligence Digital Health Briefing subscribers earlier this morning.
- To get this story plus others to your inbox each day, hours before they’re published on Business Insider, click here.
- Stay up-to-date with our latest coverage on the impacts of coronavirus on technology, marketing, and the digital economy here.
The volume of telehealth claims lines — which doctors submit to patients’ insurance companies to receive reimbursements — for privately insured US consumers has skyrocketed over the past year: Claims lines submitted for telehealth rose over 4,300% from March 2019, when telehealth visits made up fewer than 0.2% of medical claims lines, to March 2020, when they made up 7.5% of all claims, according to a new analysis by FAIR Health.
The meteoric growth is thanks largely to the largest private insurers’ moves to make it easier for members to access telehealth and for doctors to get paid for delivering it during the pandemic. And it’s not just privately insured members that are flocking to telehealth in droves: Recent Medicare claims data shows that there’s been a larger than 11,000% boost in telehealth use among Medicare beneficiaries from March to April alone.
But despite the fact that private and government-sponsored payers are knocking down barriers for doctors to get reimbursed for telehealth, many doctors in the US claim that they’re not getting the full payments they’re promised and that reimbursements for telehealth remain far lower than those for in-person visits.
Want to read more stories like this one? Here’s how to get access:
- Business Insider Intelligence analyzes the healthcare industry and provides in-depth analyst reports, proprietary forecasts, customizable charts, and more. >> Check if your company has BII Enterprise membership access
- Sign up for the Digital Health Briefing, Business Insider Intelligence’s expert email newsletter tailored for today’s (and tomorrow’s) decision-makers in the healthcare industry, delivered to your inbox 6x a week. >> Get Started
- Explore related topics in more depth. >> Visit Our Report Store
- Current subscribers can log in to read the briefing here.