- How you change your Apple ID password depends on the device you’re using and what version it’s running on.
- Apple ID owners can generally change their password through the “Security” or “Password & Security” settings across various OS and iOS devices.
- When you change your password, you’ll want to have access to the email associated with your Apple ID account.
- Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Your Apple ID offers you the ability to connect with your Apple account across devices, new and old, wherever you are. But with that accessibility comes a need for extra security. Your Apple ID password provides this by requiring you to enter it each time you want to connect with and sync your Apple ID account on a new device.
The widely used security measure can sometimes be compromised, risking your data and sensitive personal information. If you want to make your Apple account more secure, you have the ability to change your Apple ID password.
Here’s how to do it on your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Macbook, or through a web browser.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to change your Apple ID password on devices with iOS 10.3 or later
1. Open your Settings app.
2. Tap your name.
3. Select “Password and Security.”
4. Tap “Change password” at the top of the screen.
This option is linked in blue.
5. Enter your device’s passcode to proceed
6. Enter your new password twice.
7. Tap “Change” or “Change Password.”
8. Sign back into your account using your new password on your various devices to access your Apple account.
How to change your Apple ID password on MacOS Catalina
1. Click the Apple icon in the top-left corner of the screen and select “System Preferences.”
2. Click “Apple ID.”
3. Select “Password & Security.”
4. Click “Change Password.”
5. Enter the password you use to get into your Mac.
6. Enter your new desired Apple ID password twice and click “Verify.”
Note: If you have Mojave or an earlier version of the OS, select “iCloud” after entering your system preferences. From there, choose “Account Details” and then “Security” followed by “Reset Password.”
How to change your Apple ID password on your web browser
1. Open your browser, go to your Apple ID page and sign in with your current ID and password
Real Life. Real News. Real Voices
Help us tell more of the stories that matterBecome a founding member
2. Select “Change Password.”
3. Enter your current password.
4. Now enter your new desired password twice.
5. Click “Change Password.”
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe